I want to talk about things people do on social media that annoys everyone. You would think people would figure it out but some just do not get it. Just because there is an option to do certain things, it does not mean you should.
I think the best advice I can give is when using social media, think of it like real life and not some completely other world without rules.
Remember that nowadays most people have their social media accounts on there phones. We are all use to getting a buzz here and there from our social media but no one wants there phone buzzing like crazy, because some person does not know how to control themselves on social media.
- The forcing Friend. Adding people to group conversations without permission. Admit it, there is nothing more annoying then having your phone going off constantly because someone has tagged you in a group conversation you did not even want to be added to. My job revolves around social sites so I am on them a lot during the day working. I can get pretty fired up when someone adds me in a conversation with 20+ people. Before you say, “Just leave the group” or “just turn off notifications”. How many people feel guilty when you do either of those things? The group is notified, “So and so has left the conversation.” This means, your friend knows you bailed. Some people might not care one bit, but others feel bad about it. Truth is, you should not put people in that predicament in the first place. Throwing someone in a group conversation without permission is equivalent to trapping your friends into a room to make them talk to you. Not good.
- Sir tags-a-lot. Tagging friends in multiple post. There is nothing wrong with tagging a friend once in awhile in something funny, something uplifting, or something personal between you both. However, we all have a couple friends who tag us in everything they find amusing or “think” you will enjoy. This is another problem I hear from social site users all the time. Once again, people are put in an odd predicament. You don’t want to tell the person, “please stop thinking about me and tagging me in everything.” but you don’t want to keep getting tagged 5 times a day in things you give a hoot about either. The main reason this irritating is that photos you are tagged in go into your photo album. Assuming you have been tagged in 50 photos over the last couple of months that pretty much takes up what most people see when they view your gallery. How annoying is that, especially, if you use your social media site for advertising your business or brand.
- The stalking friend. Do you have a few friends that seem always to be online and every time you log on to your social site, they message you immediately? I have a few of them and it totally drives me nuts. Listen; do not be the person that makes a friend wants to delete their social media. Do not be the person that makes your friend cringe every time they login hoping they can go undetected for a while. Do you call people 20 times a day? Do you knock on their door every day? Maybe you do. I do not know, but if no one ever told you how annoying it is, you can thank me for letting you know now. I get that social media is about networking and communicating with friends, but people also use it for work, for reading news, for watching videos, ect ect. No one wants you messaging him or her every time they come online.
- The spamming friend. I should have made this #1 because EVERYONE despises spammers. I’m not just talking about posting the same thing they are trying to advertise 100 times a day, but also taking up feed with useless post to advertise. Twitter is the worse for this. If I follow someone and notice that they feed hog, I unfollow them immediately. Have you ever saw people do this? Instead of tweeting, “Watch Walking Dead tonight, don’t miss it.” They tweet in segments. WATCH. WALKING. DEAD. TONIGHT….. On purpose, they post 7 tweets with one word until they say what they want. They do this to get noticed. I notice it all right, and then I unfollow them. Another super annoying type of spamming is a person has 20+ fakes’ accounts that they made just to help them promote themselves. The person will post a tweet and tag you in it, they will then post this same tweet to 50 other friends tagged and have you still tagged. If that is not bad enough, they have their fake accounts RT & Fav all the tweets. ARG!
Here are some examples:
One person tagged me in a massive amount of lame tweets and then had several fake accounts RT & Fav. This is not good promoting it is ANNOYING, for me and for my followers. STOP PEOPLE.
- Auto posting friend. Auto posting can be a great tool. If you are a company posting giveaways or announcements then that is a great way to do it. If you are a high profile person who wants to set up a bunch of auto post while your away that’s cool too. However, people who just do it because they can and it’s always the same boring stuff. STOP. People catch on. It makes you look lazy and fake. Eventually, people will stop commenting or liking anything, you post. They might even just unfollow you.
- Inactive or selfish friends. The one thing that annoys me as a PR is when a client complains they are losing followers or not getting enough likes/favs/shares/RTs. I look at their accounts and see 3 post in the last 10 days and no interacting. I do not care who you are, big celebrity, top model, whatever, if you are not interacting with your followers you will lose them. I do not like following people who never interact with me. I also cannot stand one-sided people. You know the ones that want you to like or comment on all their stuff but do not return the favor. This just makes you look stuck up and turns people off. If you want to be on social media, interact with people! (Without being, annoying that is.)
- The friend that plays too much. Ok, so I am guilty of sending game request and even playing a few of the social pranks on Facebook. I had to remind myself that not everyone uses Facebook to play games and not everyone finds the pranks funny. Since I have started using my social media more for work reasons, I now see why massive amounts of game request and silly pranks can be a pain. If you don’t like game request there is now an option to turn off request, which is helpful, but you still have the friends whose wall consist of game scores and those annoying game post. I have a couple friends I stopped interacting with because too many times I liked a comment just to get a message saying, “Got ya! Now you have too..blah.” It was funny like once, then it got old.
- The negative friend. Everyone has a bad day, week, and even month. We all have bad things happen where we need some uplifting. The constant complaining is what I cannot stand, that and the people who constantly post horrible stuff. I have many human rights friends, I am all for standing up for my beliefs and making a change in the world. I will share stories once in awhile that really pulled my heartstrings, but some people just sit and post every awful thing they hear about online every day. We get it, the worlds not perfect. Awful things are happening every day. We do not need you to throw it in our face 50 times a day. All you are doing is bringing down your friends, and honestly, it kinda looks like you are obsessed with cruelty. Just sayin’.
- The bragging friend. Total opposite of the negative friend, this person just brags non-stop about how amazing they are and their life is. So much so, that it looks fake. Women seem to do this more than men do. “I got checked out by 5 guys today.” “So in so said I should be a model.” “Does my butt look big in these jeans? Oh it does, GREAT!” After awhile these types of people become comical. They try so hard! Just be yourself people, you will get attention but it will not be the kind you really desire.
- The friends who cannot figure out who they are. I do not know if you have friends like this, but I have a few. These people change their name like their underwear. Their info always changes as if they are trying to impress a certain crowd. It’s kinda hard to trust people who do this.
Well, that concludes the top 10 most annoying things people do on social media in my opinion and what I hear from others. I hope it is helpful and opens some eyes. Let me know your thoughts.